8/12/15

Sat, Day #7. back to Anacortes

Sailing in the fog
      The plan was to leave Eagle Harbor at around 7:00 am, so to take advantage of the currents out of the north in the Bellingham Channel before they switched around the other way.
       I go up the companionway steps and see:  Fog.  Thick fog.  Pea soup.  Vanilla pudding.  Especially to the east, out in the channel.  Damn.  There are great big ferries, ships, and other watercraft out there that traverse these waters, and it's nice when I can see them, and them me.  Well, there's nothing we can do about it except proceed with caution, with nav and steaming lights on.

Robert the lookout.  It was cold and wet.
      We head out into the Bellingham Channel.  I can't see a darn thing.  I post a lookout in the bow pulpit with instructions to watch for other vessels and point which way to steer if they see one.  It's not exactly an enviable job because it's cold and wet as heck up there.  Robert, Mitch, and Emily take turns.
       There's a 10 knot wind, but it's blowing out of the south, which is where I need to go.  I ain't about to tack all the way to Anacortes in this mess.  So once again, I fire up that cursed engine.
       But the fog lifts as we enter the Guemes Channel, and we make it back to the Anacortes Marina without incident.  I slide Escape back into slip# E-59 as my competent and very well-taught crew ties her off.  Mission accomplished.
Back to Anacortes, with Mt. Baker in the background

       There's a guy walking up the dock pulling a couple of carts.  It's George - Escape's owner!  The entire crew lauds him with praise over how much we all enjoyed sailing on his fine vessel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment